Daniels Decides On Duke

Daniels Decides On Duke

Fayette County safety Matt Daniels has decided to end his recruiting process early. He made his decision after visiting Duke this past weekend. GAVSV.com caught up with Daniels today to learn the latest on his commitment.

"When they first offered me, I wasn't thinking to much of it," said Duke commit, Matt Daniels. "Going into it, academics starting playing a part. They have a big time academic program, one of the top five in the nation.  So I got to thinking about that, but I was really thinking about committing I was just going to wait it out."

"But I took at trip down there this weekend and I got to hang out with the DB's. I hung out with those guys and I had a great time. They showed me around. They told me a lot about the school. I got to watch them practice.  They were a very physical, hard hitting team.  I liked that about the defense."

The Blue Devils' coaching staff also played a part in his decision.

"I got to meet the coaches.  My recruiting coach, Coach Glenn Spencer took care of me.  I felt like I was wanted there.  They cared about there.  I feel like Duke is the best place for me to go. I really felt comfortable there."

Georgia Tech and Indiana had also offered the 6-foot-1, 195-pound safety prospect.  Daniels played mostly at running back last year gaining over 1,301 yards with 20 touchdowns on the ground.  At safety, he totaled 40 tackles, 26 assists, and one interception

"I hope to play a lot more on defense," Daniels said. "Because last year, I didn't get to play safety that much on defense.  For the good of my football team, I was responsible for running the ball. So I just want to get more snaps on the defensive side and knock people around."

How solid is Daniel's commitment to Duke?  Is he still going to take his visits?

"Oh no," said Daniels. "I'm pretty solid with Duke right about now."

GAVSV.com Recommended Stories


Up Next


Matt Daniels was 90% sure he was going to Duke on Sunday night, the remaining 10% came before making…

Tweets